This topic guide presents a basic introduction to core book arts knowledge oriented towards students and practitioners of book arts and history of the book.
Book arts topics covered in this guide:
- Calligraphy & Illumination
- Conservation & Preservation
- Digital Media
- General History & Reference
To access the printed material, see the Worldcat or Amazon links (see below) on each resource. If the title of an electronic resource is linked, the item is free online.
- WorldCat indicates which of your local libraries or universities owns the resource. To find those institutions, enter your zip code into the ‘Enter Your Location’ field, pictured below.
- If local institutions don’t own the material, request it through their interlibrary loan or acquisitions department.
- Amazon is a popular purchasing site, but other stores may provide competitive prices (such as your local bookstore, Oak Knoll or AbeBooks).
Origin of Creation
The Pathfinder Final Project from Stephanie Brown’s INLS 501 Information Resources & Services course provided the impetus for this topic guide.
The curation of these resources is thanks in part to Katherine Ruffin of Wellesley College, Josh Hockensmith of UNC-Chapel Hill, Brian Allen of Durham, NC, and Carol Daniel Parker, formerly of Saint Mary’s Hall, San Antonio.